Research your Cheshire family history and find your ancestors with these family history, genealogy and local history records and links including BMDs, burials, wills, military records and more.
- Cheshire Archives & Local Studies
Collects, protects and promotes interest in and the use of records and printed material relating to the historic county of Cheshire.
- Wirral Archives
BMDs and Parish Records
- Cheshire BMD
Nearly 7 million births, marriages and deaths from the county of Cheshire. Search and view the BMD records for free.
- England BMDs
Births, deaths and marriages from all over the UK.
- The Cheshire Collection
Contains many important databases for Cheshire.
- Cheshire Parish Records
Baptisms, marriages and burials from 1538 onwards.
Burials & Cemeteries
- Cheshire Memorial Inscription Collection
- Norbury Church, Hazel Grove, Stockport
- Overleigh Cemetery Database 1850-1950
- Tameside Burials
Records are available from: Dukinfield Cemetery and Crematorium, Hyde Cemetery, Mottram Cemetery
- 1939 Register
This census substitute has over 1 million Cheshire residents included.
- Census 1841-1911
Search the entire census collections from 1841-1911.
Criminals and Convicts
These registers detail landowners, those eligible to vote and why they’re able to vote. For the years when there’s no census records, these electoral records are a valuable alternative. In the following collections, there are over 10 million records of Cheshire inhabitants.
- Cheshire Electoral Registers 1842-1900
- Electoral Registers 1832-1932
- Electoral Registers 1920-1932
- Freemen of Chester 1747-1925
- RootsChat Cheshire
Help others or get help researching ancestors in Cheshire.
- Cheshire Historical Directories
- Cheshire & Chester Trade Directories 1781-1840
- Collection of Directories for Cheshire
- Cheshire Tithe Maps
Almost 500 Cheshire tithe maps are now available online. Together with the information recorded in tithe apportionments, they are a unique record of land ownership, occupancy and use in Cheshire 150 years ago.
You can use them to answer questions such as:
- Where did your ancestors live?
- Who lived in your village or even your house?
- What was land in your area used for?
- Who owned land in your area?
- Old Cheshire Maps
- British Military Records
- Carl’s Cam War Memorials
Carl’s cam gives you free access to hundreds of war memorials in Cheshire with the names of those on them. There is a surname index for easy browsing. Photos of Cheshire can also be found using the alphabetical place name list, plus there’s a gazetteer of Cheshire with a handy timeline of its history. A great site for cheshire family history.
- Cheshire Military Museum
- Cheshire Military Records
- Cheshire Roll of Honour
- The Cheshire Regiment
- Trafford War Dead
- Cheshire Newspaper Collection 1710-1953
Search and view millions of articles from the Chester Courant, Cheshire Observer, Chester Chronicle and many more.
- Alderly Edge Miners
- British Apprentices 1710-1808
What profession did your ancestor choose? Search almost 7,000 Cheshire records.
- Cheshire Police Roll of Honour
- Lost Pubs of Cheshire
Photos and Postcards
- Carl’s Cam
- Cheshire Image Bank
The digital image archive of Cheshire Archives and Local Studies which includes images of Cheshire’s people, places & events. Images can be searched, viewed and purchased.
- Cheshire Photograph Index
- Cheshire School Records 1782-1950
Find out your ancestor’s school, birth year and name.
Societies and Groups
- Family History Society of Cheshire
Founded in 1969 to advance the study of family history and genealogy, they now have around 3000 members worldwide. As well as helping people with ancestors in Cheshire, they also assist members living locally whose ancestors originated elsewhere.
Wills and Probate
- Cheshire Archives Wills & Probate Records
- Cheshire Wills and Probate
These records include all surviving original wills of Cheshire residents proved at the Chester diocesan consistory court 1492–1857 and registered copies made at Chester Probate Registry 1858-1911.
- Chester Wills Index 1761-1780
- Disley Wills
- Weaverham Wills 1599-1837
Workhouses & Poor Law
- Cheshire Workhouse Admissions
Search for people who were admitted or discharged from Cheshire workhouses between 1781 and 1911.
- Cheshire Workhouse BMDs
There are around 40,000 Cheshire workhouse birth, baptism, death and burial records available in the following collections.